Transcriber Weather

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Morgan

Re: Transcriber Weather

Post by Morgan »

Here the low for the day is, of course, while I am taking my morning walk. 6C, with lots of hoarfrost in places. Seems a bit warm for that, I should think. It must have been forming as we walked.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

And this is December in Delegate (Think Summer downunder)
-37.03344026399922, 148.94375533674545

There has been snow falling in the Snowy Mountains as well.

I thought this article from our ABC was well drawn. The blue line refers to water storage area and flow from it. After the big map the rest may not interest all.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-20/ ... /101769978
Michael

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Michael

Post by Michael »

I just came in from shovelling our sidewalk and the one in front of our house. 36 cm of fresh heavy snow! Major power outages over Vancouver Island, ferries stopped running for the first two sailings of the day (crews can't get to work), airports facing major delays.
Today Snow at times heavy and local blowing snow ending early this afternoon then cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind northeast 20 km/h gusting to 40. High minus 2. Wind chill near minus 10.
Tonight Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries this evening. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. Low minus 9. Wind chill minus 10 this evening and minus 18 overnight.
Wed, 21 A mix of sun and cloud. Becoming sunny in the morning. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 increasing to 50 gusting to 70 in the morning. High minus 6. Wind chill near minus 18. UV index 1 or low. Wed Night: Clear. Windy. Low minus 12.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Woke up to rain here, but the temperature has been dropping all day and there has been a light snow the past few hours. Streets are wet and will likely turn to ice soon.

Biggest concern is Friday, when they are forecasting possible freezing rain. Last time that happened, several years ago, so many trees fell under the weight of the ice that power here was out for a week.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Good luck. We're supposed to be driving to Tofino tomorrow. We'll see. It wouldn't be possible today.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Well, tomorrow's forecast doesn't say "ICE" anymore, just rain. But this weekend it looks like we're getting hit with an arctic blast here in Northern Virginia. Rain the next two days and then highs only in the 20s Fahrenheit this weekend.

Good luck and safe travels to everyone getting hit with snow or having to do long drives!
Michael

Post by Michael »

We're down to 30 cm on the ground, and I managed to dig out the windrow of ice and compacted snow at the end of our driveway. Left by a snowplow. I also helped get our neighbour's car dug out. It was frozen in by that same snowplow's work, she had parked on the street. We decided it was easier to dig a path 30 feet behind her car. That way, she could backup to our driveway, and then she could go ahead onto the street. The snow behind her car and between the icy windrow and the curb was fairly light, so it was fairly easy shovelling, compared to what we would have to do to move the ice between her car and the street.

Anyway, in an hour or so, we'll set off into a snowy world.
Randi

Post by Randi »

We had a little bit of snow Sunday.
Tomorrow it is supposed to rain and then Friday snow is forecast.
Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be cold (-8 to -13).
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

There has been heavy snow to the north of Seattle, and as Michael mentioned, on Vancouver Island, the past few days. However, here to the south of Seattle there has only been light snow.

It's starting to look like it may be our turn down here now. Strong winds started blowing in cold air last night. The temperature dropped to -7 C last night and as of 2:30 this afternoon have only gotten up to -5 C. The forecast is for it to start snowing again tonight and then south of Seattle turn to freezing rain for possibly several hours before warming enough to change to rain.

We're as prepared as possible for an extended power outage. A few months ago I purchased a 3108 Wh battery system that's charged up and ready to provide power for my medical equipment, lights, and possibly computers if I can get an Internet connection. Unfortunately, unlike a gas powered generator where you can keep adding gas, this system will be useless once it's charge is depleted (until it can be charged again). If used conservatively though, it should provide power for at least a few days. Heat will only be available from the fireplace though.
Randi

Post by Randi »

-15C (5F) here at 0900!
Windy with a bit of snow.

-18C (0F) here at 1215!
Windy - 37km/h (23m/h).
Swept snow off wood-slat stairs although some remained frozen on to them.

-20C (-3F) here at 1430!
Windy - 36km/h (22m/h).
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Looking nice for Christmas period in my area.

Sat Scattered thunderstorms, 28°-18°
Sun Mostly sunny, 26°-18°
Mon Cloudy 27° 18°
Tue Sunny 26°-17°
Wed Cloudy 27° - 18°
Thu Partly cloudy 26°-18°
Fri Scattered showers 24°-18°
Sat Scattered showers 24°-18°

Merry Festive season to all from Down under.
:kangaroo:
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's 7C here in Tofino. The power was out for 16 hours. It's back just now. Lots of wind, some rain, and the snow is almost gone. Major surf, so surfers are happy. Gotta go. Lights just flickered...
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Looks like you have a nice walking track around the peninsular.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Freezing rain last night and today has pretty much shut everything down. They were planning to keep emergency bus routes running, but they gave up and cancelled all bus service. Most medical clinics are closed, ERs full from people with ice related injuries. They've been struggling to keep one of the three runways open at the airport off and on. It just rained most of the day, but with the temperature right at freezing all day, it's just water on top of ice. So still extremely slippery.

Saw a video of someone a couple miles from my house who parked his car and was walking toward the house when he looked back to see the car starting to slide down the hill. It hit a police cruiser and then just kept spinning as it went down the street and out of sight.

A video from up in Seattle showed someone skating along a street on ice skates.

A couple hours ago a fire engine with tire chains was struggling to go past our house. It was making slow progress as the wheels were mostly just spinning on the ice.

Fortunately despite occurring over such a long time, there wasn't all that much rain. So the ice accumulation wasn't enough to cause very many power outages. We never lost power here, although the Internet went out briefly.

They're saying it may not be until sometime tomorrow before this all melts.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Here's the article with the video of the car sliding down the hill. Scroll down in the article for the video.
https://b-townblog.com/2022/12/23/video ... e-cruiser/

The ice skater in Seattle.
https://twitter.com/metasoarous/status/ ... uP-sosAAAA
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thanks!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

There have been several more reports of non-human involved traffic accidents. People correctly parking on hills, transmission in park, parking brakes on, wheels turned towards the curb. Then with no one near the vehicles, they just start sliding and spinning down the hills.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Our 1800hrs news is showing the terrifying weather in some parts of the USA.
Keep safe.
:kangaroo:
jil

Post by jil »

I'll second that, while feeling rather pathetic for complaining about -7C here a couple of weeks ago!

Return to “Dockside Cafe”