Randi

Re: Transcriber Weather

Post by Randi »

At 17:16
24C and partly sunny
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

We are having a hurricane! Magnificent clouds, muggy, odd variable breezes, and something that would be short of "spitting rain." Certainly not measurable. Maybe more in the next 36 hours. Along with that, I have ash on my porch from a fire 60 miles away. Forecast High for the day 36+C.
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's 17C and sunny here in Victoria!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

A Fire Weather Watch has been upgraded to the first Red Flag Warning I remember seeing for Western Washington. The forecast is for very low humidity, hot, and windy Friday and Saturday. The predicted high is 34 C here in Kent Saturday with humidity at 15%. This has already been a hot dry Summer around here. Forest and brush fires are rare west of the Cascades in Washington.

Fortunately it's been fairly comfortable here for the past week. This area has been a little north of the extreme heat to the south.
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's 21.3C here. I don't mind at all to be in a place that's 20C cooler than where I was two days ago.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

.20 inches of rain in my gauge! YEA! I harvester 40 gallons so my favorite roses got a good deep drink. We are on extra conservation measures- no watering for two weeks, while they fix a major feeding pipeline. The temperature has dropped as well. What a difference a small hurricane makes!
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's 25.6C here, and smoky from fires in Washington. Thanks, Gordon. :roll: We've had no rain since July 18, if you don't count 0.2 mm on August 10. Considering that 1 mm is the width of a dime, 0.2 mm isn't really more than a few drops.
Randi

Post by Randi »

They are endlessly claiming it is going to rain, but most of the time the rain doesn't materialize and they just move the forecast for the rain a bit further out :roll:

However, it has been an abnormally cool August and early September here, so I am not complaining :D
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Between the heat and the smoke it's been a miserable day today. The high was 35 C. Air quality has been in the "Unhealthy" range all day, just shy of "Very Unhealthy" for a while. Tonight the AQI is still 161. I've been holed up in my office all day with a filter attached to the back of a fan to clean the air along with another air filter that I run all year long. I had to keep the windows closed, with no air conditioning. So it's been uncomfortably warm.

Unlike the smoke blowing in here from California and Canada the past few summers, this is from local Washington fires.

The wind is supposed to shift back to onshore from the ocean tomorrow, cooling things down, and blowing the smoke away. I'm skeptical about the smoke. I've seen this happen twice in the past where the wind has initially blown from the East, blowing the smoke out over the ocean, then when the wind shifted to the West, all it did was blow all that smoke sitting over the ocean back at us again. Right now the smoke map shows a lot of smoke off the coast just waiting to blow back here tomorrow.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

We will arrive back home on Thursday and can only remember 4 or 5 days where we had rain since 28 June. A couple of days had light showers.
I love winters up north. :) :)
Michael

Post by Michael »

And why not. Your northern winters don't feature days with only three or four hours of daylight, square tires on your cars and temperatures in the -40s. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're wondering about square tires, there is a flat spot on your tire where the tire rests on the ground. If it's very cold, the air pressure in your tire is reduced, so the flat spot is larger than normal. The rubber is very rigid in the extreme cold so, when you start to move, you feel all these bumps as the tires rotate enough for the flat parts to come around again. It usually takes 50 or 100 yards for the friction with the road and the flexing of the rubber to warm the rubber enough for the flat spot to disappear.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Conditions are much better here this morning. Wind has shifted to onshore and the air quality is improving. The AQI is now at 88. It's much cooler now with clouds coming in and a chance of rain.

Sorry Michael. It looks like the smoke is blowing up to Victoria now. I just checked several Victoria stations and they are all reporting an AQI around 160.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Tell me about it, cough, cough!!!
Randi

Post by Randi »

67F / 19C here in Pittsburgh at 13:00 :D
Michael

Post by Michael »

18.6C / 65F, clear and calm here at 10:00. :D :D :D
jil

Post by jil »

Lovely sunny morning but frosty! My outdoor thermometer was showing 5C (it is a bit close to the house) but frost on the roofs of cars parked on the road and on the grass in the fields.
Randi

Post by Randi »

15C and foggy here at 8:25am
Michael

Post by Michael »

Cloudy, calm and 10C here at 7:00 AM.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Came across this Sun Clock by chance.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

I like the way it flips and the hands run counter clockwise for us downunder persons. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Dockside Cafe”