Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Randi

Re: Chat

Post by Randi »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Randi

Post by Randi »

studentforever wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:15 am While editing "Pioneer" she encountered the USCGS Bear. Now I knew about Bear's part in the rescue of the remnants of the Greely expedition in 1884 but her later career was unknown to me. However, a search turned up this link which gives a summary of her full career which lasted as an active ship until 1944. She finally sank, under tow in 1963, on her way to Philadelphia to become a museum & restaurant.

https://www.history.uscg.mil/Browse-by- ... bear-1885/
I just found a 2021 article by chance.
There is probably not much new, but here's the link: Discovery of Historic Cutter BEAR (1874-1963).
Michael

Post by Michael »

To those living south of the border...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Thanksgiving !

pommystuart

Thanksgiving from a different prospective

Post by pommystuart »

Thanksgiving from the perspective of a turkey.

Campus Times Rochester, New York, Nov 23, 2023

By Chris Horgan, November 20, 2014

Alright, I get it. It’s that time of year again and it looks as if it is all going to end for me. Last year, my fellow turkeys and I bought deer costumes to wear in order to disguise ourselves during hunting season. It didn’t end well. I would like to make some suggestions to make the turkey hunt a little fairer, so let’s talk turkey.

First of all, let us have guns too. How would you like it if we cooked you for Thanksgiving dinner? Gobble gobble? No, after we took one shot at your leg you’d be wobble-hobbling. Just kidding, you humans already know that we don’t need to eat anything on Thanksgiving because we’re usually stuffed, by you guys. Why stop there? These ideas seem to be cooking up well.
Second, you guys should have to wear blindfolds while hunting. Maybe then you and your pals might second guess tricking us with turkey calls, huh? Not to mention, you humans are discriminatory. I tried out for the Detroit Lions football team, but the contract only lasted until the day before Thanksgiving. What was that about? Plus, life as a turkey has been pretty tough of late. I started talking to this pig who seemed pretty chill, but she left me so I don’t think she was taking it seriously. I guess that’s what you get for going for a ham. But I still want to live, humans. I am not very fond of the relationship that the turkey has with the human. If we could talk right before you started cooking us, I’m sure we’d have a ton to say. Did you know the Ten Commandments say thou shall not kill? This should be applied to turkeys. You better hope that I’m not contaminated with E. coli. If so, this could be the last Thanksgiving for both of us. This might sound a little cold-hearted, but that’s because we’ve been frozen in your freezer for the past week. But it’s a tradition, so that makes it okay. No turkey has ever said anything about it because turkeys can’t talk.

So in the Thanksgiving spirit, what is it that I am thankful for? I’m thankful that Thanksgiving is only once a year.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Turkeys aside, (and it was funny) Stuart, do you have any such day? I know our Canadian neighbors celebrate earlier, and I presume the British celebrate July 4th as the day for which they are thankful!
Randi

Post by Randi »

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
People rarely win wars; governments rarely lose them. -Arundhati Roy, author (b. 24 Nov 1961)
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Morgan wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:45 pm Turkeys aside, (and it was funny) Stuart, do you have any such day? I know our Canadian neighbors celebrate earlier, and I presume the British celebrate July 4th as the day for which they are thankful!
Thanksgiving Day is not an officially recognized public holiday in Australia, and as such, it does not have a designated date on the Australian calendar.
The Australian external territory of Norfolk Island, one of the few places outside of America to celebrate Thanksgiving Day, a legacy from the American whaling ships who would make frequent stops to the island during the late 1800's. They brought with them American style recipes like pumpkin pie and cornbread.
Thanksgiving is celebrated on the last Wednesday of November, similar to the pre–World War II American observance on the last Thursday of the month.
pommystuart

FYI

Post by pommystuart »

If any body is interested in the oceans this link may be interesting.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/oceans ... -good-use/
Michael

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

It seems NHN is up and running again :!: :!:
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Hope everyone who does celebrate had a good Turkey Day or at least a nice slice of pie. :D

I completed a big project repairing and refinishing a beat-up vintage dresser and lamp table for myself so I hauled the old hand-me-down dresser to the curb and left it for free because I didn't pay for it so why charge money? Only took a day and a half before someone came and got it so I hope it makes someone's holiday season special. (It was actually very sturdy and in great condition but always too big for me and not my style.)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Well done!
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Now that is a fat streak of lightning.
Picture from the ABC site leader story (no pun intended) and does not say where strike was.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-28/ ... 103159860?
I assume Adelaide as they had a months worth of rain in 1hr.
Michael

Post by Michael »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Randi

Post by Randi »

Remarkable sky color too!
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
to our longest serving moderator
Caro

Michael

Post by Michael »

Happy Birthday, Caro!!!

arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Happy Birthday, Caro!
jil

Post by jil »

Caro, hope you're having a great birthday! Cake, wine and flamingo tea seems to be a good start

Return to “Dockside Cafe”