Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
pommystuart

Re: Chat

Post by pommystuart »

Burton Island. 14/03/1954. Long Beach Cal.

0005 Discovered LCVP and punt missing from pier forward of the ship.
Ingram, J.G. 55 21 63 BM3 USN and Epperly J.J. 372 40 11 SN USN was missing from ship.
Sent MAA and duty OOD to look for the boats and missing men.
0015 Ingram,J.G. 55 21 63 BM3 USN returned on board drunk and in improper uniform, was placed on report for breaking restriction and stealing government property. Was sent below and a watch posted on his bunk.
0025 Boats were found adrift and returned to their moorings.
Epperly was brought aboard drunk, dirty and disorderly in custody of Aderkin, R.L. EMC USN was turned over to duty hospital corpsman and duty MAA after being placed on report for breaking restrictions and stealing government property.

[Either a long time noticing the boats missing or the sailors hit some strong drinks.]
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

“The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it is true.”

— J. Robert Oppenheimer
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Not sure if I am an optimist or pessimist after reading this.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/oceans ... s-century

I wonder if this line refers to our OW contribution??

"Their modelling of the AMOC collapse draws on 150 years of Atlantic sea surface temperatures from 1870 to 2020, as a “fingerprint” for the process. "
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael

Post by Michael »

We received this note from a researcher at the National Archives. You may be want to listen to the podcast she mentioned...
Hi everyone,

I thought I would mention something that is not directly related to the study of past weather observations, but involves digitized whaling logbooks and transcriptions, most likely done by Old Weather volunteers.

Yesterday I was listening to Freakonomics, a radio program on NPR, and heard a segment on how two professors used the data pulled from digitized logbooks of whaling ships to study racial diversity and team performance on those ships. If interested, you can listen to the podcast here, starting at around the 17:50 minute mark.

I know that Old Weather volunteers transcribe not only U. S. logbooks but also whaling logbooks, so I thought the Old Weather team would be interested to know that their work was featured in an economics research paper and a popular radio program. That podcast made me wonder whether there are any stories of using the data pulled from U.S. logbooks (Navy, Coast Guard, and Coast and Geodetic Survey ships) for purposes other than the study of past weather records. The only such story I know of is about researchers at Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK, who are using digitized U. S. Navy muster rolls (from the NARA-NOAA partnership) to study race, class and ethnicity in the United States Navy during the Civil War period.
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Hi everyone,

That podcast made me wonder whether there are any stories of using the data pulled from U.S. logbooks (Navy, Coast Guard, and Coast and Geodetic Survey ships) for purposes other than the study of past weather records. The only such story I know of is about researchers at Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK, who are using digitized U. S. Navy muster rolls (from the NARA-NOAA partnership) to study race, class and ethnicity in the United States Navy during the Civil War period.
You might be interested in reading Old Weather and More.

Though not related to the US logs, and not very scientific, but Old Weather related nonetheless, we also know of a person who visited all the ports his grandfather had visited while serving in the Royal Navy during World War 1.
To plan his trip he used information from the edited logs published at naval-history.net and Journey Plotter.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks, Maikel. I sent it along to her.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

I have heard of big things getting lost but this is over the top. (or should I say under the top) :lol: :lol:

https://theconversation.com/antarctica- ... -on-210665

:kangaroo:
Randi

Post by Randi »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Michael

Post by Michael »

:( :( :(
Randi

Post by Randi »

Kevin
Gone but never forgotten

Sad news - Kevin Wood
Michael

Post by Michael »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Michael

Irony x 10

Post by Michael »

I enjoyed this article on CBC North for the unmentioned irony that it contains...

Old Crow, Yukon, is being evacuated. Fort Smith and several smaller communities on the NWT/Alberta border are being evacuated. Inuvik, NWT, is under an evacuation notice. NWT has an Evacuation Notice (think about leaving), an evacuation Alert (get ready to leave) and then an Evacuation Order (leave now). Old Crow is a fly-in community, with no road access. People have to be evacuated by air. Air North has a small plane to ferry people to Inuvik, and they they are flow to Whitehorse in a 737. Inuvik has a highway to the south.

Gwich'in Tribal Council Chief Ken Kyikavichik posted on Facebook that afternoon that the fire had moved five kilometres closer to town and was then 12 kilometres away. He said, as a precaution, people should gas up their vehicles, pack some light luggage, including important documents and keepsakes, and be ready to evacuate on short notice.

At 1:30 p.m. notice went out that a news conference about the signing of an offshore oil and gas exploration accord that was to occur an hour later was cancelled.

"There will be no speeches or media because of the wildfire," stated a notice from the federal minister of northern affairs.

Shortly after, Northern Affairs Minister Dan Vandal and Yukon Premier Ranj Pillai, who had flown to Inuvik to participate in the news conference, boarded a plane for Whitehorse. Vandal later told CBC News they left on the flight, which had been arranged to carry wildfire evacuees from Old Crow, Yukon, to Whitehorse, after hearing an evacuation alert may be issued for Inuvik.

"Both Premier Pillai and I made the decision that we should leave with the evacuees and make sure that they get out of harm's way," said Vandal.

I.e, "We so much want to ensure that they get out of harm's way, so we are going to take two seats on that airplane." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael

Post by Michael »

So, let's break this down:
  1. Wildfires are being exacerbated by climate change;
  2. Climate change is driven by rising concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere;
  3. CO2 is produced by burning oil and gas;
  4. Burning oil and gas has caused our climate to change which is causing more numerous and more intense wild fires which are burning further and further north, thus preventing us from announcing the exploration for more oil and gas further and further north.
Sadly, it prevents us only from announcing, but not opening up the area for the production of even more oil and gas.

Code: Select all

OLD CROW ARPT (AWS)                   YK CN 67 34N 139 50W
INUVIK ARPT (AU5)                     NT CN 68 18N 133 29W
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Michael, I want to respond to your note about the evacuation. Unfortunately I have no words to respond. Is there an emoji for for standing there with my mouth open? My heart goes out to all of your Country.
Morgan
Randi

Post by Randi »

Randi

Post by Randi »

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. -Russell Baker, columnist and author (14 Aug 1925-2019)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Money shouts, the people whisper.

Return to “Dockside Cafe”