Introduce yourself

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Michael

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Michael »

Welcome, Mer. I hope you enjoy your stay here as much as we do.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Wow! Sounds like you have an interesting life!
Looking forward to interacting with you in the future ;)
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find a niche on the site which feels nice and comfortable.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Welcome Mer! :)
It's great to have you, your interests, your Balclutha experiences (!) and your skills on board. Be sure to share interesting finds on the forum. We're all addicts and love every new post. ;) :D
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Hi April - thought to transfer our introduction over to this new forum for you. Have a happy birthday today!
arboggs wrote:Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:14 pm Hi, my name is April and I'm originally from Rhode Island but I currently live in Virginia. I've done journal transcribing for a museum before so I figured I could help out here and the idea of working with ship logs and weather data is interesting to me. When I'm not working on this project I'm looking for work or remodeling my parent's home.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Thank you, Joan! :D

Did you know that right now I live near the 2018-2019 world champion pasty baker? (Yes, he lives in the U.S.!) I went this weekend I got myself an order (frozen, to be reheated) for dinner tonight. I thought you'd get a kick out of that. ;)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

arboggs wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm Thank you, Joan! :D

Did you know that right now I live near the 2018-2019 world champion pasty baker? (Yes, he lives in the U.S.!) I went this weekend I got myself an order (frozen, to be reheated) for dinner tonight. I thought you'd get a kick out of that. ;)
That's totally amazing! You are so lucky. My waistline couldn't take the strain, but my taste buds would be forever grateful. Enjoy those pasties!

How did the Cornish let that slip over the Pond? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it this company perchance?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-43278376

I'd love to go and offer to taste them all - well the vegetarian ones. My mum used to make great pasties. We kids got to chop the root veg into small cubes. Sounds like a boring job, but the end article was worth the effort ;) :D
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Yes, Pure Pasty! Normally, I'd go sit at their little counter because you can watch them working in the kitchen but during pandemic they're selling them all frozen so we can bring them home. Was very glad to see a lot of people picking up orders, keeping the business going. They had a great system. They text when it's ready and you can stick your arm in the door to grab your bag & go.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

arboggs wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:49 am They text when it's ready and you can stick your arm in the door to grab your bag & go.
...straight home to a pre-heated oven if it were me :D
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Mer, Glad to meet you. I have been on your ship (Balcultha)!!! We were wondering around that end of the SF waterfront - saw it was a National Park and took advantage of our lifetime Senior pass (Great deal by the way.) Someone was working hard at painting while we looked around.
Hope you enjoy OW. There are great people doing great and very interesting things. Welcome.
Morgan
Mer

Post by Mer »

Hi Morgan,

That's alot of what I did when I volunteered there; painting. My favorite work was a phase before that tho; chipping rust. So satisfying, after a week sitting at a desk, to swing a ball peen hammer at a spot and see bits of rush fall off. :lol:

My favorite memory at the pier was when Eureka was still being restored and alot of her was see thru. Sitting having a quiet lunch, looking into the innards of the paddle wheel in its various stages of decay, as the fish swim thru the wheel frame, and seeing / listening to the rain on the water. If you've seen the US TV series Nash Bridges, their police station was located on her and paid for some of the restoration work, I suspect.

Did you happen to tour the submarine, Pampanito, while you were there? It's located a couple piers closer to the tourist area.

I'll keep an eye out for the Senior Pass! Yellowstone is calling to me.
Tegwen

Post by Tegwen »

Hi

I am Keith, better known to the longer standing members of this group as Tegwen. (Who was our dog, when I first started on this project, now sadly deceased.)

I have been active on OW since 2010. I was a transcriber, then editor of the WW1 ships & have had 9 of those edited ships logs published. Since the end of the WW1 ships my activity has dropped a lot to the point that I almost missed the change to the new forum.

I have had the edited log of one small US ship, the USS Corwin, published and I am currently working very slowly on editing the logs of the first part of the journeys of U.S.C. & G.S.S. Carlile P Patterson. At the rate I am working her logs will more than see me out as there are almost 30 years worth to do and I am completing less than a page per day on average.

I live in Somerset in the UK & still work, almost full time, in organic food certification.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi Keith, it's lovely to see you back online again!
Randi

Post by Randi »

Ditto!
:honeybee:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Hi Keith! It's lovely to see you here. :D :D :D Great that you are working on organic food certification. I'm all in support of that ;)

Watch out for the log keeper on the Patterson. Their work was so notorious that I turned them into a Naval Relief Fund (i.e. Community Chest) card in Shipopoly...
:lol:
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

AvastMH wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:42 pm Watch out for the log keeper on the Patterson. Their work was so notorious that I turned them into a Naval Relief Fund (i.e. Community Chest) card in Shipopoly...
:lol:
As the most prolific Patterson transcriber back in the day, I can confirm that they were the worst of OW Phase 3! :evil:
Tegwen

Post by Tegwen »

Thanks to you both for the warnings. So far it has not been too bad, although I have only done the first part of her first journey, ie Hampton Roads to San Francisco Bay. She goes off to Alsaka etc before I finish even the first journey.

My biggest problem is that nothing happens on the journeys. Even losing a hat overboard on the old Cadmus sloops was more interesting than the day to day stuff of the Patterson, hence my slow progress, but I will soldier on at least until the end of the first journey.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

I know how you feel, I'm editing USS Jamestown and the major items of interest are the number of floggings administered for what would seem relatively minor infractions. I've also learned more than I have ever needed to know before about sails, though I doubt I will ever make any practical use of the knowledge. I don't think my orthopaedic surgeon would be happy about me climbing the rigging on a sailing ship tossing in a gale even though he might slap himself on the back if I actually got up there.

However, it's good to see you back. Didn't you have bees at one time? If so and you still have them did they enjoy the summer? I certainly had lots of bees and hover flies buzzing round my 'garden'.
Tegwen

Post by Tegwen »

Hi

Yes I did keep bees. In fact my late wife was the beekeeper, but I kept a hive on after she died.

This summer they left, sadly, so at present I have none.

However, it is a good opportunity to clean, sanitise & refurbish the hive over the winter & put in new foundation etc in the hope that a swarm will set up in it during next summer.

I do it much more to provide some bees with a home than to get masses of honey.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hello everyone,

I came across this project fairly recently. I enjoy data entry and learning about history, so this easily meets both of those. I'm also happy to be contributing to further study of climate change.

-Bryan

Return to “Dockside Cafe”