Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
ggordon

Re: Chat

Post by ggordon »

I brought a bag of candy up here to the cabin just in case neighborhood kids might come by, but it's the off-season and as far as I can tell there isn't anyone else in any of the nearby cabins. Oh well, guess I have it all to myself. :twisted:
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

pommystuart wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 pm Gordon, Vacations are NOT for bug fixing, they are for bug swotting (when they try to drink your drink).
Enjoy.
:kangaroo:
I do plan to partake of locally brewed beverages while I'm here. 8-)
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Local brews, all the sweets to yourself? Sounds grand, Gordon :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

jil

Post by jil »

:lol:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

A very happy birthday to you April!
:D :D :D
(It almost looks like a whaling log book ;) :lol: )
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Sorry to intrude into this thread, Happy Birthday April

However, came across this item on the Beeb website which may interest some of you

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-54780740

I know the Spanish Armada is before our remit but a big factor in its defeat was :o the WEATHER and I think the museum is the one who hosts our website and has promised to put them on public display - I hope digital access too.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
April !

Michael

Post by Michael »

Happy Birthday, April!
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Thank you, everyone!

The bookworm cakes are appropriate because I've been reading like mad lately. Just plowing my way through the to-read pile.
Randi

Post by Randi »

‘I feel as if I am in the studio of a genius’: A photographer’s 30-year record of dreamlike icescapes and hues in Antarctica

An iceberg grooved with a curtainlike pattern called a fluted iceberg and large chunks of glacier ice called bergy bits at Dorian Bay in 2016. (Ira Meyer)

A cathedral-like iceberg at Port Charcot in 2019. (Ira Meyer)

“I call this one 'Stairway to Heaven,' ” Meyer says. He took the photo at Fish Islands in 2017. (Ira Meyer)
jil

Post by jil »

Beautiful
Michael

Post by Michael »

They are stunning!!!
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Amazing!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Quite breathtaking :heart:
Michael

Post by Michael »

I was puzzled by an odd greenish blob on the Google Map while I was working out part of Burton Island's 1955 voyage. I decided to look on the fishing app to see what, if anything, was there. Nothing, other than lots of little squares with notations like: Prod Pullen E-17. I thought these must be gas wells or oil exploration wells. One of my friends from work in the Yukon lost a ton of money betting on these wells, and I had no idea that it was such a big effort. I found this, with a search on Prod Pullen E-17.
The Beaufort Sea–Mackenzie Basin hosts an immense petroleum resource. Fifty-two petroleum fields found by 263 wells, including four gas hydrate research wells, have discovered petroleum expected to be 172.75 x 10 6 m 3 recoverable crude oil and condensate and 254.67 x 10 9 m 3 marketable conventional natural gas. The region is estimated to have an expected undiscovered 957.2 x 10 6 m 3 recoverable crude oil and 1.64 x 10 12 m 3 recoverable conventional natural gas. The conventional resources are co-located with an immense gas hydrate resource estimated between 2.4 x 10 12 and 87 x 10 12 m 3 raw natural gas in place. Development of the often co-located gas hydrate petroleum resource could augment the conventional petroleum province significantly within the production life span of the conventional onshore fields.
As far as I know, these were just exploration wells, and they aren't in production. But, with just a bit more global warming and a bit less ice and an early investor could be RICH!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: It makes me weep... :cry:

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Ah - well found Michael! I've spotted that thing before now and wondered what it was but never had a chance to chase it. It's horrifying to think that it's a load of gas and oil that might be used to shoot the planet in the foot. :o
krwood

Post by krwood »

The USS Spica opened the door in 1944 during an initial exploration of Naval Petroleum Reserve No. 4. https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0301/report.pdf

Return to “Dockside Cafe”