Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Michael

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Thursday Next

Post by Thursday Next »

Hanibal94 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:26 pm My stepfather has developed a test for a certain gene inherited from Neanderthals, where having two bad copies (chromosomes come in pairs) means you are more heavily affected than normal if you get COVID-19.
Me, my mom and younger brother all took the test - we each have one good and one bad copy, so we're OK.
My dad hasn't taken this as far as I know, so I have no idea if my bad one is from him or my mom.
I heard about this on the news a few days ago - the DNA test I had done for family history wasn't one where they tell you whether you are descended from Neanderthals. Up until now I had found the idea of possibly having Neanderthal ancestry quite appealing - it doesn't seem quite so appealing now!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

That Neanderthal link is fascinating! Apparently you're more likely to get Diabetes type 2 if you have some Neanderthal in you. And are more likely to store fat. :o
jil

Post by jil »

Interesting stuff. The fat storing would have been very helpful in the ice age. Less so with the central heating and the easy access to cake!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I, too, had seen a report on that test! After working on OW data and history, I decided the world had gotten bigger on me based on finding out how much there is about geography and history I do not know. Now, I realize how small the world is through people I have "met" and relationships to those hundreds of thousands of years ago.
Based on my ability to store fat, I must have a little Neanderthal in me.
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

Got my flu shot today!
My shoulder is already a bit sore, but other than that I feel fine.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I got the high dose version they give to seniors. I felt mildly ill for a day afterward.

They're saying it might reduce the chances of getting COVID-19.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I go mine a couple of weeks ago, no pain or side effects whatsoever, other than getting autism. :lol:
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Got mine last Friday, at work. Upper arm was sore the whole weekend, but has gotten better since then
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Got my flu jab this morning - talk about production line!! Report to local football stadium: a dozen or so nurses and 2 or 3 receptionists plus 2 car park attendants. Go along to vacant 'station', answer questions about allergies, prescription drugs etc, take off jacket, roll up sleeve, receive product leaflet, retrieve car and go home. So far so good. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

That's so different from my experience.

I went online the night before, scheduled an appointment and answered the questions. The next day went to my local supermarket where the pharmacist took me to a private room to give me the shot. Then I walked out and did my grocery shopping.
Randi

Post by Randi »

The JCC here lent their parking lot for two 4-hour sessions, and the pharmacists from local supermarket came to each car, collected the paperwork, and gave the shot through your rolled down window!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Still can't get an appointment at my surgery. Thinking of just purchasing it from the pharmacy. Then it's done and that's good. :)
jil

Post by jil »

I can't even find a pharmacy that will take my money. They are all still just dealing with those who normally get a free NHS flu jab. (For those outside the UK, normally you get a free jab if you're 65 & over or have other health issues or work in health care. Earlier in the year the Government said they were going to also include anyone aged 50-65, just not straight away...) Basically I'm too young & fit and I don't get to say that very often, if ever!
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Don't knock it. As an OAP with underlying health problems you don't value what you've got until you haven't. Still, I potter on and hope the Covid jab comes soon because I want to get some bits of social, sedentary life back sometime soon.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Here in the US the flu shot is free for everyone who has insurance and there was a clinic set up at the local event center to give free shots to anyone over 65 with or without insurance. It seems to be readily available. When I made my appointment at the supermarket the night before, their schedule was completely open for the next day. I was the first to sign up. There was a problem a couple years ago where there was a shortage though.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Germany has just announced a second shutdown, starting November 2nd and lasting at least until the end of November.
Details:

- Only up to ten people, from no more than two households, can meetup in public
- Tourism will be halted
- Restaurants and bars must close, except for home delivery/pickup
- Theaters, gyms and cosmetic studios (except hairdressers) must close
- Schools, kindergartens and stores can stay open, but must follow hygiene rules
- Professional sports matches will have no audience, or be canceled entirely
- Smaller companies and the self-employed badly hit by the lockdown will be reimbursed with up to 75% of their November 2019 takings

The goal is to cut down on the infection rate, which has been rising sharply in recent weeks, and let people at least celebrate Christmas with their loved ones.
Me, I've gone back to 100% home office, and will presumably stay that way for the rest of the year.

Merkel just warned of "a long, hard winter" ahead of Germany... I sure hope it isn't that bad, but I fear she's right.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Numbers are rising in Canada, and various provinces are putting tighter measures in place. B.C. isn't too bad yet, but numbers are rising. Vancouver Island is essentially Covid free, and some government people here are advocating stopping people from the mainland from coming here. I don't think it will happen, but ... :?: :?: :?:
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

We're living in Scottish tier 3, no visits even to gardens, cafes etc close by 6, no alcohol on sale for consumption in pubs or restaurants. No more than 6 people from 2 households meeting in parks etc, not supposed to travel to other areas. I'm a bit vague about that, I think it's local council which is a bit annoying as I live very close to the border of 2 other councils and not far from a 3rd. It's advisory at the moment but Nicola is threatening legal sanctions although she admits that enforcement will be a problem.

On a personal level the likelihood is that I won't be able to visit my brother over Christmas. A solo chicken portion isn't the most enticing Christmas dinner I can think of. Still, our Council area has a slight fall in cases so fingers crossed.

Return to “Dockside Cafe”