Kearsarge (1880): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

1863-1886
DANFS entry

bohara

Re: Kearsarge (1880): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

Post by bohara »

Thanks, Randi. I'm never sure what to post to this thread so I tend not to post too much, but I think that other transcribers might enjoy reading about some of the less common, interesting, everyday things that happened onboard these ships.
bohara

Post by bohara »

A bad day on the Kearsarge, from the log book for November 22, 1880 (some paperwork will need to be filled out):

"Steam launch which was towing astern, swamped and sank. Sent 3 boats who picked up the crew with the exception of John Peters (cox.) [coxswain]. Came to anchor in 5 fathoms water."
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

bohara wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:08 am Thanks, Randi. I'm never sure what to post to this thread so I tend not to post too much, but I think that other transcribers might enjoy reading about some of the less common, interesting, everyday things that happened onboard these ships.
Thanks, bohara, we do indeed look forward to interesting posts.
I worked for quite a while on the Kearsarge before moving onto a vessel that for a few weeks came to Australia where i live.
Michael and I know a lot about the Kearsarge.
:kangaroo:
bohara

Post by bohara »

Sad news about John Peters who was not rescued when the steam launch sank on Nov. 22:

$21.95 Proceeds of sale of effects of John Peters, cox. [coxswain] drowned 22 inst [instant - 22nd of current month].
Michael

Post by Michael »

:( :( :(
Randi

Post by Randi »

bohara wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:19 am Sad news about John Peters who was not rescued when the steam launch sank on Nov. 22:

$21.95 Proceeds of sale of effects of John Peters, cox. [coxswain] drowned 22 inst [instant - 22nd of current month].

From the OWpedia:
Auction of Personal Effects - "Sale of effects - started at least in the 18th century, and finished, I don't know when - during or after World War 2? When someone died or was killed, their personal effects - clothes etc. were auctioned off and the proceeds sent to their next of kin. I believe that if the man was popular, his mates or oppo's (opposite number) would sometime pay ridiculous prices for ordinary items just to make sure, say his widow, received a good sum." Quote from I question I had asked navalhistory [elizabeth/Gordon]
[AND]
Whilst it may seem impersonal, it would have been much easier to ensure the money got back to the relatives rather than their effects. A lot more opportunity for things to go missing in transit. As Gordon has said, there is plenty of evidence that depending on their circumstances, prices became inflated to help reduce immediate hardship. There was also the thought that one day it might be their belongings being auctioned to help their own dependents. [Haywain]
bohara

Post by bohara »

:) :) :)

Return to “USS Kearsarge”