Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Maikel

Re: Chat

Post by Maikel »

Did the Tonga eruption cause this year's extreme heat?

The 2022 Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano eruption may have contributed to this year's heat, but it's not causing climate change.

Link: https://www.livescience.com/planet-eart ... treme-heat

Aerial view of the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano eruption in 2022. (Image credit: Maxar/Contributor via Getty Images)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Incredibly rare fire tornado captured on video by B.C. wildfire crews

Another incredible photo taken from a friend who is an Air Canada pilot and was flying over one of our countless #BCwildfire

Dirty thunderstorms aren’t a new phenomenon, Struzik said: massive wildfires at the beginning of the 20th century also created pyrocumulonimbus storms, captured in historic photographs of the Great Porcupine fire in northern Ontario in 1911.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

My meteorology education is a little on the short side. I have always wondered: volcanic eruptions cause clouds that can "shade" causing a volcanic winter. Also one of the explanations of the extinction of the dinosaurs was a huge dust and sulfur cloud resulting from a meteor. Yet the greenhouse effect is trapping heat- sometimes with water aerosols What is the tipping pint between too much cloud and ..... too much cloud?

What keeps me coming back to OW is the curiosity I haven't had time for - since my childhood. You all feed my curiosity (a finely curated collection of website links) and I spend way too much time running down rabbit holes; reading up on Krakatoa, the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal. Myths and curiosity from my youth include a picture of an earthquake, no doubt from a cartoon, wherein the earth opens up and everything falls in followed by the fissure closing back up. I went to engineering school and learn a little about earthquakes- which dispelled all these myths. Then, in 1994, I was doing some field investigations after Los Angeles' Northridge Earthquake. Sure enough, we came to a driveway with pavers- a resultant landslide showed a crack along jagged lines of pavers- just like the earthquake of my youth. The hole went to the center of the earth for all I knew because I knew enough not to go close enough to look down to the bottom.
Another myth, somewhere along the line I understood that the sea level is not the same all over- who would have thought? The picture of the opening the Panama canal came from my own mind- a flood of water washed through the canal - leveling the oceans. I love the ship tracking simulation that shows the exact time ships quit going around South America and started to use the canal! Thanks OW Friends! I love rabbit holes.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm not too sure where the tipping point is. Certainly all these fires are screening parts of the earth from the full effects of the sun. That ash, though, won't stay in the atmosphere for very long.

The rabbit holes are fun, though, aren't they! :D :D :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

:D :D :D
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Having not read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland this is the first time I have heard about Rabbit holes.
That's my learning for the day. Back to bed. opps I mean back to OW data.
Michael

Post by Michael »

For Chris, aka Hanibal94,

My Little Ponies waiting for a grand-daughter to take them to her ranch.
Randi

Post by Randi »

:heart:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Randi

Post by Randi »

pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Randi wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:39 pm
Love it.
pommystuart

For Jil

Post by pommystuart »

Hi Jil.
Whilst this is on the opposite side of Preston to you, you may know the story of "The Woodplumpton Witch".
I found this story on a Drone site and it has a nice flight around the church.

Meg Shelton (died 1705) known as the "Fylde Hag" was an English woman accused of witchcraft. Her grave can be seen at St. Anne's Church in Woodplumpton, now part of the City of Preston district of Lancashire. Meg Shelton's real name is recorded by St Anne's Church as Margery Hilton.

The Woodplumpton 'witch' is reputedly buried upside down with a boulder on her grave...

Accused of using witchcraft to destroy crops, steal milk and transform herself into animals, Meg Shelton was subject of many fantastical tales and stories. Most traditions have her body being found crushed against her cottage wall by a barrel. According to some versions of the story, the unusual death was seen by villagers as a sign that the Devil had come to claim her.

Meg Shelton was buried in St Anne's churchyard, but her body refused to stay underground. The following morning, her corpse was found lying beside her grave. She was reburied, and once more her corpse reappeared. Finally, the priest performed an exorcism and Shelton was buried for the third time, but this time she was interred in a narrow vertical hole, like an oversized post hole, and she was inserted upside down, so that if she tried to dig her way to the surface she'd be going the wrong way. Finally, a boulder was placed over the top of her unusually-shaped grave.

You'll see her tomb three or four times in my flight... Can you spot it??? Dare you look?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UrcR67203jU It has nice sound track.
Michael

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
jil

Post by jil »

Interesting. I've not heard of her but have heard of similar stories involving 'witches' burials. It was not safe to be a slightly strange old woman, you seem to get blamed for anything going wrong. (Must remember to stop talking to that black cat that occasionally wanders through my garden!)
Randi

Post by Randi »

https://www.history.navy.mil/today-in-h ... ber-4.html
1954 - The icebreakers USS Burton Island (AGB 1) and USCGC Northwind complete the first transit of Northwest Passage through the McClure Strait.

(Sorry, Michael)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
Ron Weil

Michael

Post by Michael »