Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Morgan

Re: Chat

Post by Morgan »

Randi- Thank you for the quote and image. I think I will keep it in mind as there are several circumstances to which they apply. I am really good at delayed response to people. I keep my foot out of my mouth by thinking of something on point but sharp to say... an hour later. I could just print out a card with the "SCREAM" and hand them to the "Offender."
Michael

Post by Michael »

Minister orders everyone out of Yellowknife, Dettah, Ndilǫ and the Ingraham trail by noon Friday.

Yellowknife residents leave the city on Highway 3, the only highway in or out of the community, after an evacuation order was given due to approaching wildfires. (Pat Kane/Reuters)

Yellowknife's population, which is ethnically mixed, was 20,340 per the 2021 Canadian Census. Of the eleven official languages of the Northwest Territories, five are spoken in significant numbers in Yellowknife: Dene Suline, Dogrib, South and North Slavey, English, and French. It's the Capital and almost half of the population of the Northwest Territories.

People who cannot leave by road, and residents who are immunocompromised or have other conditions that put them at higher risk, are asked to register for evacuation flights. Air evacuations are scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. Thursday. Evacuees are urged to not leave by boat to a cabin or island on Great Slave Lake. Thompson also said plans were in the works to help people experiencing homelessness.

Yellowknife and surrounding communities now join Fort Smith (pop 2,600), Hay River (pop 3,800), the Kátł'odeeche First Nation, Enterprise and Jean Marie River — all N.W.T. communities which have seen residents displaced due to out of control fires.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Oh no, all those people! That's so terrible.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael

Post by Michael »

Kelowna declares state of emergency after wildfire jumps Okanagan Lake, prompting more evacuations. Kelowna declares state of emergency after wildfire jumps Okanagan Lake, prompting more evacuations.

THE LATEST:

A state of emergency has been declared in Kelowna after wildfires forced evacuations for residents in the Clifton area north of the downtown early Friday morning.
The City of West Kelowna and the Westbank First Nation have declared a local state of emergency, with thousands of properties under evacuation orders or alerts.
There is "structural loss" in West Kelowna, officials say.
Highway 1 closed overnight in both directions between Hope and Lytton due to wildfire activity Thursday. (Note: Lytton was destroyed by a fire two years ago just after Lytton smashed the previous Canadian Maximum Temperature with 49.9C)
Dozens of other properties around the B.C. Interior have been ordered evacuated, including the Lytton First Nation and Ulkatcho First Nation
Officials warn the coming days could be "the most challenging of the summer," as a volatile cold front sweeps through southern B.C. with high winds and dry lightning.
New evacuation orders and wildfires are expected throughout Thursday night and into Friday morning. Learn more about how to find the full list of wildfires, highway closures and evacuation orders and alerts.

Thousands of people have been forced from their homes in B.C.'s Okanagan, with evacuation orders issued after a wildfire jumped Lake Okanagan, sparking spot wildfires in Kelowna.

Early Friday morning, evacuation orders were issued for residents of the Clifton Road North and McKinley area of Kelowna, which is north of the downtown, due to the McDougall Creek wildfire.

A state of emergency has been declared by the City of Kelowna, which has a population of almost 150,000.

Officials say the McDougall Creek wildfire has grown rapidly after being discovered Tuesday about 10 kilometres northwest of West Kelowna, which is on the western side of Lake Okanagan, while Kelowna is on the east.

The City of West Kelowna and the Westbank First Nation also declared a local state of emergency Thursday night due to that same wildfire.

More than 2,400 properties are under evacuation orders, with another 4,800 properties under alert. West Kelowna has a population of 36,000.

The Central Okanagan emergency operations website said early Friday that "officials have confirmed some structural loss" in West Kelowna and Regional District of Central Okanagan West areas. A full assessment will be done in the morning, it said.

Photo from this morning...

Randi

Post by Randi »

Terrible.........
Words fail.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Then again...

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville, novelist and poet (1 Aug 1819-1891)
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Randi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:32 pm
Save some of those tears to help put out those fires. :cry: :(
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Sorry to seem like a doomsayer but see this and pass it on to your countries PTBs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/ ... /102701172
Last edited by pommystuart on Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Post by Michael »

That's a little bit shocking!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thank you, Stuart.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Glad to see you have power and internet, Morgan!

Re various disasters and people's responses:
Life cannot be classified in terms of a simple neurological ladder, with human beings at the top; it is more accurate to talk of different forms of intelligence, each with its strengths and weaknesses. This point was well demonstrated in the minutes before last December's tsunami, when tourists grabbed their digital cameras and ran after the ebbing surf, and all the 'dumb' animals made for the hills. -B.R. Myers, author (b. 21 Aug 1963)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Randi

Post by Randi »

WOW! :cry:
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

It's sad to think the some of the precursors to these Earth changing effects have been produced by our generation.
Sorry Kids.

This year the 2nd August was Earth Overshoot Day, the day of each year when humanity uses more resources than the planet can regenerate in a year.
Calculated by the Global Footprint Network, the day represents people exceeding Earth’s “biocapacity”: the ability of an ecosystem to generate resources in a sustainable way.
For further info see the second part from this site.
https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/sustai ... -day-2023/
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And should suffice.
Robert Frost 1920 (He was speaking metaphorically of desire and hate) What would he say today?
One of my favorite poets. When we had to memorize poetry in grade school, I always chose one of his- they seemed easy enough to both understand and memorize.
Randi

Post by Randi »

pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Oh shucks, did I forget to put the plug back in?
:kangaroo:
jil

Post by jil »

:lol:
Michael

Post by Michael »

The news about the effects of climate change just keep getting better and better!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “Dockside Cafe”