Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Randi

Re: Chat

Post by Randi »

I was just picking out a cake, but I will wait till the 13'th here to post it :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
Chris

Michael

Post by Michael »

Yes, indeed!

A Very Happy Birthday, Chris, and may you have many more!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

A very happy birthday to you Chris!!!
Hope you are having a splendid day!
A cup of tea to follow Randi's amazing cake...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jil

Post by jil »

Happy Birthday, Chris. Hope you had a good day!
Caro

Post by Caro »

Happy birthday, Chris 🎂 :D
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS! May the hold of your ship always be filled with chocolate!
Morgan
Randi

Post by Randi »

Morgan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 am HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS! May the hold of your ship always be filled with chocolate!
Morgan
Now, that is what I call a good birthday wish! :D
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Morgan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 am HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS! May the hold of your ship always be filled with chocolate!
Morgan
That's a GREAT wish, Morgan! Here's hoping it comes true! :lol:

It was a pretty good birthday. We went out to the countryside NE of Leipzig for a little walk through some fields and woods, saw a stork's nest with chicks.
And in the evening, we had Tapas for dinner at a fancy Spanish restaurant downtown, as we do every year. It was delicious as always.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm so glad you had a good time. Now you can look forward to your trip to New Jersey! :) :) :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Lovely wish, Morgan :D

Glad you had such a good day our Chris - sounds like a good birthday :D
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Michael wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 pm I'm so glad you had a good time. Now you can look forward to your trip to New Jersey! :) :) :)
I am indeed, thanks! Just a week from tomorrow!

All I need is a negative COVID test (the US wants that even if you're a fully vaccinated US citizen), so I already made an appointment to get one at a pharmacist that offers rapid antigen tests with 98.5% sensitivity and 99.45% specificity (see here for what those mean).
Hope that goes well - I've already decided to mostly self-quarantine until then, just to be as sure as possible that I don't get a false positive. I know it's so unlikely, but there's still a little part of me that worries like heck about this.

Still, I did manage to get my passport renewed when the pandemic was at its worst. That was NOT easy at all - it took a total of four months, with a couple close calls, and felt quite stressful at times too!
Compared to that, this last obstacle should be a breeze.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Enjoy the trip. It's more stressful making all the arrangements but, having had a short UK break last month, it does make you feel as if life might get more 'normal' in the future. Unfortunately both my brother who lives in the North West of England and I living near to Glasgow are in areas experiencing an outbreak of Covid delta. So, it looks as if we will miss out on any further easing up for a while. My area seems to be flattening but his is still spiking although mainly in the younger age group and he too is a pensioner. I'm just glad I went when I did because I feel so much better for the break. I do hope it goes well for you.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Yesterday, our neighbour was talking about a very high temperature in Dubai. She said it was 150F, which is impossible.

From Wikipedia
According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the highest registered air temperature on Earth was 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) in Furnace Creek Ranch, California, located in Death Valley in the United States, on 10 July 1913, but the validity of this record is challenged as possible problems with the reading have since been discovered.
Anyway, in my search for temperatures in Dubai, I came across this site. Yesterday they showed 51.7C in Joba, Oman.

It's an interesting site to visit, if you're feeling oppressed by too much heat, too much cold or too much precipitation! :D :D :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

Good find!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

It's 119.2 degrees C between the hottest and coldest - that's staggering :o
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Wonderful crepsucular rays as the sun dips into the sea on the longest day of the year (well - up at this end of the planet). A view from Eshaness Lighthouse in Shetland...

jil

Post by jil »

Beautiful! I've just booked a holiday in Shetland for early June 2022 so I was thinking about the 'simmer dim'
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

I didn't know that it was called the 'simmer dim', but I won't forget it - what a nice name. :D Have a great holiday. I'm quite jealous - I'd love to get to Shetland one of these days.
They are advertising this cam as best for auroras, so it's 'fingers crossed' for good views at the next solstice ;)
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Do you think this might reduce the litter louts on one of the tourist beaches?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science_and_environment

Return to “Dockside Cafe”