Coronavirus

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Randi

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Randi »

People are struggling to get vaccine appointments. A 14-year-old stepped in to help.
Benjamin Kagan, 14, amassed a team of volunteers to help hundreds of people in the Chicago area register to be vaccinated as demand for the shots outstrips supply.
Local nurses have started reaching out to him directly to alert him to extra vaccine supply, he said, and he hopes to coordinate a mass vaccination event with a local health-care system.
Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Gurdeep Pandher of Yukon, Canada:
Yesterday evening I received my Covid-19 vaccine. Then I went to a frozen lake to dance Bhangra on it for joy, hope and positivity, which I'm forwarding across Canada and beyond for everyone's health and well being.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1366761098779766784
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Go Gurdeep!! Brilliant! :lol:

Okay - been at the California PPL shipyard for 3 days solid because the log's such a mess and the interface is different. Tomorrow I finish it, or it finishes me :o :lol:

:zzz:
Michael

Post by Michael »

I kept hearing about how bad B.C. was compared to the other provinces and territories, so I thought I would check. One commentator kept saying B. C. was second to last in Canada for Cases and Deaths by population. Looking at Statistics Canada data for March 3, suggests B. C. was doing better than the other larger provinces, but much worse than the northern territories or Atlantic provinces. Here are the numbers. (Note: the Cases/Pop and Deaths/Pop were multiplies by 100 and 1000 respectively.

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Sounds like the Commentator needs to go to stats school :o What is clear is that you could do with some more vaccinations happening :)
Michael

Post by Michael »

I thought I would compare with Australia. They're 16 to 20 times better than us. Even Victoria has much better numbers than B.C., and New South Wales is better than every one of our provinces or territories that have recorded at least one death. Oh well, at least our leaders think they're doing a great job, and they spare no effort to remind us of that fact. :roll:

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Michael wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:11 am Oh well, at least our leaders think they're doing a great job, and they spare no effort to remind us of that fact. :roll:
That's exactly what we get. unbelievable given the appalling way they've handled things. :evil:
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

There is so much I want to say about our leadership and statistics... 😠
...but not appropriate on this forum. 🤐
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Things are returning a bit toward normal here. The local library is reopening today. Museums have started reopening. My favorite museum in Seattle will be reopening on April 2. They will be limiting attendance and requiring masks, but at least they're open again.

It's been two weeks now since my second dose of the vaccine, so I plan to start venturing out more. I have been getting out on frequent walks during the pandemic, but have missed my museum visits. I will still be cautious though because it is not clear yet how effective the vaccines are against newer strains of the virus.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I'm scheduled for my first shot Monday!
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Don't plan anything too strenuous for a couple of days afterwards. Most people are fine, I was except for feeling a bit tireder than usual. I'm now 4 weeks on so according to the latest study should have significant (but not 100%) protection. I do keep to the rules but when I ventured to the local shopping centre for some dried fruit etc not stocked by the local supermarket (centre was semi-deserted and half closed) I felt less anxious than I would have 6 weeks ago. :D :D
jil

Post by jil »

I'm having my first dose today!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Great trio of messages! :D :D :D

Don't forget to keep your protein levels up everyone - it's the the building brick for your immune system's production line. ;)
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Well just in case you or any of your social circle are wondering about getting vaccinated. Here is a study of healthcare workers and their families which indicates that vaccination does reduce transmission of the virus to close contacts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56373252
jil

Post by jil »

AvastMH wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 am Don't forget to keep your protein levels up everyone - it's the the building brick for your immune system's production line. ;)
I've had a hot cross bun to celebrate - does that count?
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Great news, Randi and Jil! I'm very glad to hear that.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

jil wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 pm
AvastMH wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 am Don't forget to keep your protein levels up everyone - it's the the building brick for your immune system's production line. ;)
I've had a hot cross bun to celebrate - does that count?
Definitely! Hot cross buns are notoriously high in protein, no carbs, no fats from the butter dripping off them after being toasted, as good as a ten ounce steak I should say ;) :lol:
Randi

Post by Randi »

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Boy we could do with some Manaakitanga in the UK - or at least a great deal more than we have :roll:

Good luck Randi and jil - hope all goes well tomorrow! :)

Return to “Dockside Cafe”