Wasn't it just? :D
#Worldle #76 1/6 (100%)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

And every little dot an 'O Shima' island :roll: :lol:
Michael

Re: Chat

Post by Michael »

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the latest report shows the result of a “litany of broken climate promises” that has prevented global emissions reductions over the past 30 years. The report says global emissions from human activity in the last decade — 2010 to 2019 — were the highest ever, largely driven by fossil fuels and industry, and that projected emissions based on countries’ collective pledges to fight climate change are currently not enough to prevent warming beyond 1.5 C.

“It is a file of shame, cataloguing the empty pledges that put us firmly on track toward an unlivable world,” Guterres said Monday, adding that it is now “moral and economic madness” to continue spending money on fossil fuel projects around the world.

How I love people who can hold two contradictory thoughts in their mind at the same time!

Here's thought number one, coming from the government who has blown by every target they set like a teenage joy-rider blasting through a hospital zone at 2 A.M. while being chased by the police.
The 2016 Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change (PCF) is Canada’s first-ever national climate plan that was developed with provinces and territories, and in consultation with Indigenous peoples. It is an important first step for Canada to achieve its Paris Agreement target, and is doing more to cut pollution in a practical and affordable way than any other climate plan in Canadian history.

And thought number two:

Federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault has approved a new oil project off the coast of Newfoundland with what Ottawa is calling the strongest emissions rules ever imposed.
I have determined that the designated project is not likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects,” Guilbeault said in the 22-page decision statement.
Bay du Nord is expected to produce around 300 million barrels of oil over its lifetime, though industry insiders in Newfoundland and Labrador say that figure could be more than 800 million barrels. Equinor has said Bay du Nord would likely start pumping in the latter half of the decade, and continue producing for 20 to 30 years. Production is expected to peak at around 200,000 barrels a day.
They say this project must and will be net zero by 2050. If you read carefully, you will see that the reason this project will be net zero by 2050 is because it will likely be finished around that time. Silly me, I hadn't realized that the only CO2 that mattered was the CO2 produced on or after 2050. :roll:

The other day we watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and we latched on to one of our latest favourite quotes, which I now apply to anything coming from our Minister of Climate Change and the Environment:
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Gods, I don't know how to express my feelings on that topic - mostly a mix of :cry: and :evil:, but with a big dose of uncertainty as well.
Uncertainty because it's not clear to me if the growth of renewables, electric cars and perhaps carbon capturing or even nuclear fusion will be enough to turn the tide, or if it's already too late because of how warmer temperatures cause more emissions (e.g. Siberian methane), and I am doomed to watch human civilization fall to pieces, as one of the Last Generation.

And yet, even then life will likely go on. The Earth has seen five major extinction events before hominids even evolved, and those are just the ones we know about. Plus, the climate has fluctuated between Greenhouse and Icehouse many times.
Not only that, but I just read that the Sun is gradually getting more luminous as it ages, which means that about a billion years from now, Earth will turn into a second Venus NO MATTER WHAT - assuming it hasn't been wrecked by a supernova, asteroid or intergalactic gamma ray burst by then.

Perhaps it is best, then, for me to accept that we are ultimately meaningless on the cosmic scale - just one speck in a galaxy of billions of stars, which is itself just one of over four trillion galaxies in a universe we cannot fully comprehend - and to do what I can, such as avoiding meat as much as possible, while enjoying the good things in life and hoping for the best... or, that I can at least go to Valhalla when I die, as a reward for living a good life and contributing so much to Old Weather.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Well put :cry: :evil:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

It's so grim :cry: :cry: :cry:
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

At least this country still appears to be around. (Well, according to Google Maps that is).

#Worldle #77 1/6 (100%)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
Randi

Post by Randi »

I just did 76, so I will get 77 tomorrow ;)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

pommystuart wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:45 am At least this country still appears to be around. (Well, according to Google Maps that is).

#Worldle #77 1/6 (100%)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
impressive! :)
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

#78 is a hard one. You can hardly see it.
I had to clean my screen (overdue) to see what it was.

I will start by using Randy's starting point and end up at the country.
#Worldle #78 5/6 (100%)
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜➡️
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜↖️
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜⬇️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↙️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
jil

Post by jil »

Yes, I wasn't sure which were islands and which were marks on my screen!
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

At least you actually got it, Stuart - I didn't even get within 1000 km! :oops:
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

I have just been watching "High Arctic Haulers" on TV tonight. S1E1 was well worth a watch.
The vessels are working in the High Arctic above Canada. I am waiting to see if they visit any places I have been to, Grise Fiord is one they are going to.

Should be available to watch somewhere on the WWW.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

pommystuart wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 am I have just been watching "High Arctic Haulers" on TV tonight. S1E1 was well worth a watch.
The vessels are working in the High Arctic above Canada. I am waiting to see if they visit any places I have been to, Grise Fiord is one they are going to.

Should be available to watch somewhere on the WWW.
I'll keep an eye out for that, Stuart :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

This was more luck than skill!
I started with Sao Tome and Principe, went roughly 140 degrees east for the 14199km ->, and then picked a convenient (it was farther west than I really wanted, but the other locations were either not options or too spread out to be useful) next reference point.
I was stunned when that proved to be the answer :roll:

#Worldle #78 2/6 (100%)
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛➡️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
Randi

Post by Randi »

#Worldle #79 3/6 (100%)
🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛➡️
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛↖️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Snap. :kangaroo: What do the Black (You got Black, I got White) and Yellow squares mean?

#Worldle #80 3/6 (100%)
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜➡️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨⬆️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
Randi

Post by Randi »

I have the dark theme selected in the settings, you evidentially have the light theme selected.

Maybe a green square represents 20%, and a yellow square represents 10% or more?

Here is what I see with the light theme selected:
#Worldle #79 3/6 (100%)
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜➡️ 37% = 20% + 17%
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜↖️ 88% = 80% + 8% but since 8% is less than 10% there is no yellow square?
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

That seems likely - I have the Dark theme as well, and I got 48% on my first guess:

#Worldle #80 2/6 (100%)
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛➡️
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

I went to the Dark Side and found the Country. This one should an easy one.
#Worldle #81 1/6 (100%)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

I was thinking of trying "Hide the image" then I thought, Nay. :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

I guess I will get that one tomorrow ;)

I thought of trying "Hide the image" too, but I want to learn to recognize the outlines of the countries.
Maybe I will try it as an experiment.

Return to “Dockside Cafe”