Coronavirus

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
studentforever

Re: Coronavirus

Post by studentforever »

Good luck. My after effects get worse after about 3 weeks! I think my immune system forgets to shut down. In my 40s I needed Hep B protection for some work in the lab. The students were crowing that they had titres of 30+ (they were aiming for over 20) mine, having been warned that my response would start to fall because of my age, was over 200. When I went for the blood test before the booster jab (I think it was either 5 or 7 years later) the titre was over 100 and I was told not to bother again. That's the only one where my response has been measured but my reaction to the polio booster I had before a holiday in Egypt some years ago and the flu jab I had 10 years ago started at 3 weeks and built up.

The flu jab I reluctantly I had this year wasn't as bad but I'm still stiffer and tireder than I was over the summer although nothing like as bad as after the first one. I did read some years later that the flu jab which provoked the problem had a higher proportion of adjuvant than usual so that could have been the problem. (i'm still taking non-steroidals to control the stiffness which set in 10 years ago). But after talking things over with my rheumatologist we agreed that the risks of me getting Covid, especially if I got flu as well, were worth the risk of side effects from the jabs.

So I hope you continue with your mild side effects and avoid Covid. I'm hoping my letter inviting me for a Covid jab comes in the next few days - possibly in a blue envelope.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

studentforever wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:11 am I'm hoping my letter inviting me for a Covid jab comes in the next few days - possibly in a blue envelope.
I hope you get your invite soon too :) What's the blue envelope about please?
I got a telephone call from the surgery. Looking forward to an aching arm. Hopefully not ending up with your dizziness and nausea, Gordon. I'm not good with them :(
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Because we are still having problems with postal deliveries Nicola or her sidekicks came up with the idea of special blue envelopes with the NHS logo for Covid jag appointments. Apparently the sorting offices find them easier to pick out and they have promised to prioritise them for delivery. However, typical gov planning - the envelopes were late arriving - so we had to be warned that the ones arriving at the beginning of this week would be the standard white ones!! Since I haven't received a white one I hope that the blue ones will arrive in time for one to drop on my doorstep in the next few days. But the way things are going I have no faith in the system and fear I will still be waiting for my first jag at Easter.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Gordon, it was good to hear that it went so well. I guess I'll find out in a month or two... We've had no real word about when we might expect it. :roll:
Randi

Post by Randi »

Well, blue envelopes would also make them easier to spot by recipients amid all the junk mail ;)

I'm still waiting to hear here in Pittsburgh. A friend in home care in Harrisburg got her first shot a few days ago.
(we're both over 65)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

My invitation came via an e-mail notifying me that there was a message waiting for me at the clinic's patient portal. When I logged on, there was a message containing information for scheduling the vaccination.

A few days later I received an e-mail from a different clinic from which I receive services notifying me that I was eligible to get the vaccine through them.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Health Workers, Stuck in the Snow, Administer Coronavirus Vaccine to Stranded Drivers
Public health workers in Josephine County, Ore., said they had walked from car to car, giving shots to drivers with vaccine doses that would expire in six hours.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

One of the health workers was interviewed for the BBC and said that only 1 driver had asked to check his id which surprised him. Apparently the doses were scheduled for an isolated hamlet further up the hill which is why they had just 6 in the car. The interviewer took the chance to point out the difference between vaccinating in a city and the additional problems in giving the same vaccine in remote areas with poor transport and services.
Randi

Post by Randi »

8-)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

8-) 8-) 8-)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

So I got the vaccination late afternoon on Thursday. Yesterday I had a sore arm and was very tired. Today I woke up feeling fine, with my energy back to normal. Overall it wasn't too bad. :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy to hear that!

(for your sake and for mine ;))
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

I'm also happy to hear that Gordon and, like Randi, for your sake and mine ;)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

The news is full of stories about people having terrible allergic reactions or being sick for days afterward. These events make the news, but are an extremely small percentage of the doses that have been administered so far. I suspect that most people have a reaction more like mine. I know one other person who got the vaccine and his only reaction was a sore arm.

I'm guessing the risk is no greater than it is for flu shots. There are rare cases of people having severe reactions to almost any vaccine.
Thursday Next

Post by Thursday Next »

I just had a slightly sore arm the following day after I had my vaccination. I like some mild side effects personally, makes me think the vaccine is going to work!
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thursday Next wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:40 pm I just had a slightly sore arm the following day after I had my vaccination. I like some mild side effects personally, makes me think the vaccine is going to work!
Exactly!
Randi

Post by Randi »

ggordon

Post by ggordon »

That was helpful. I was wondering why there was so much enthusiasm over a vaccine with a so much lower efficacy.

I doubt most people will have a choice as to which vaccine they get though. When I got my appointment I was told that it would be for whichever one they had at the time.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

ggordon wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:29 am That was helpful. I was wondering why there was so much enthusiasm over a vaccine with a so much lower efficacy.

I doubt most people will have a choice as to which vaccine they get though. When I got my appointment I was told that it would be for whichever one they had at the time.
That was useful Randi :) And I had the same situation as yourself Gordon. Hobson's choice - you get what is there and that's that. Luckily I got the OAZ which is the one I wanted partly because it's produced in the UK, given the current anger from the EU about vaccine provision. :roll: :o

I got mine today. Got a lift with an equally isolating friend. Arrived with two masks on, safety glasses, and yellow marigold gloves. Arrived and surprised the first official by wearing gloves and insisting still on using sanitizer. Looked into a bleak village hall with lots of 'lanes' marked on the floor in case of long queues. There were only a couple of us there at that moment. I explained that I can't stand still for long so they got a chair and plomped it down about 1 metre behind some people talking to an official at a desk and facing away from me. So I stood well back and explained that it's dangerous to put chairs out behind someone's back and we need to observe the two meter rule. I was very nice about it but totally bemused that the situation arose. Any way, after the quick health questionnaire there was a slot free so it was straight over, jacket off, t-shirt sleeve up, the tiniest scratch you could imagine and that was it.
I took a paracetamol before I went just in case I felt grim afterwards. I've felt fine all day. So I hope it's just as easy for those of you still to benefit. :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Glad it went well!

Return to “Dockside Cafe”