Chat

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Morgan

Re: Chat

Post by Morgan »

So Sorry Chris, I hope the new one is better, faster, funner......
And I DO remember the Jamaican bobsled team, that was lots of fun. Inspiration for trying something completely out of your comfort zone! Canada (and the Forecasters) did themselves proud.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Andre, who was the head of our forecast team, had been on the forecast team for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. We had two forecasters from the U.S. on our team. One from Seattle (?) and one from Boise (?) or Anchorage(?). There was also a weather forecaster from France who came for a visit. He was going to head the forecast team for the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France. The two Americans may have been with us in anticipation of having winter games in Anchorage?? I don't remember anymore the exact details. Usually the weather service would send someone to be on the team for the Olympics before theirs so they could get an idea of what was expected. There had to be someone in the office at all times who could answer questions in English and French (the official languages of the Olympic Games). We always had two people on, one fluent in French and the other in English. Sometimes both were fluent in both.

It was a very stressful job. There were often TV news crews in our office, especially ahead of major events. I remember I did a 20 minute interview for ABC Sports. They wanted to know why I was there. Did I have a passion for sports? I lied, and said I did. ;) It was quite fun, skating around their questions about why I loved luge and biathalon etc, they being more interested in sports than weather. :lol:

We had some very mild weather with temperatures near 20 degrees C. I was tempted to tell one TV Network it was because of all the nuclear tests in Nevada, but I didn't. :lol: :lol: :lol: Andre was sweating for a few minutes until the interview was over. :D :D

It was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it. It was a lot of hard work by a lot of people, only some of whom were part of the team that went to Calgary. I still have my Olympic blazer and two Olympic ties. One tie was for the "peasants" the other was for the Olympic executives. We each got an executive tie at the end of the games because the Chef de Mission was so impressed with our work that he gave them to us a token of our efforts.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:15 am We each got an executive tie at the end of the games because the Chef de Mission was so impressed with our work that he gave them to us a token of our efforts.
8-) 8-) 8-)

I'm sure you earned them!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Michael, that is quite a story. You would be a great champion/ inspiration for Science Tech Engineering and Math students! with or without the tie.
On a similar sports oriented theme, unfortunately while the Transcriber from Leipzig is currently out of commission til tomorrow, I hear there are issues with "Football" between Liverpool and Leipzig?? I don't follow much, but I didn't think anything got in the way of a match??
Michael

Post by Michael »

I have no idea about football, hockey, baseball, N.B.A., N.F.L., golf, tennis, bowling, wrestling, skiing, skating... :lol:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Michael wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:05 pm I have no idea about football, hockey, baseball, N.B.A., N.F.L., golf, tennis, bowling, wrestling, skiing, skating... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Morgan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:02 pm Michael, that is quite a story. You would be a great champion/ inspiration for Science Tech Engineering and Math students! with or without the tie.
On a similar sports oriented theme, unfortunately while the Transcriber from Leipzig is currently out of commission til tomorrow, I hear there are issues with "Football" between Liverpool and Leipzig?? I don't follow much, but I didn't think anything got in the way of a match??
I found:
'Liverpool are facing a Champions League headache after the German government banned all flights from the U.K. until Feb. 17 to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Germany.
The Premier League champions are set to face RB Leipzig in Germany on Feb. 16 but may now need to find an alternative solution.
Playing the game at a neutral venue is one possibility open to the sides, or swapping the venues for the first and second leg.
That would mean Leipzig travelling to Liverpool for the first-leg on Feb. 16 and Jurgen Klopp's side playing in Germany on March 10.
Leipzig would be able to travel to Anfield and back for the first leg as German passport holders and residents are allowed to travel to Germany where they'd be tested straight away.'

Confused? :? :roll: I am. :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thoroughly confused :lol:
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Didn't you realise that football fans live in an alternative universe???
;) ;)
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Yes, Leipzig's football team is supposed to play Liverpool in two weeks, as part of the Champions League round of 16.
There's always two matches, so each team can play once in their home city.
So the original plan was for Leipzig playing at home in the first game, in two weeks, and Liverpool playing at home in the second game, in March.
But Germany has currently banned people coming in from the UK, except for German citizens/residents.
So this means Liverpool can't come to Leipzig, but Leipzig could go to Liverpool (the players are all German citizens/residents, so they'd be allowed to come back), which means they might simply swap the two games. That would probably be the easiest solution, I think.
Hope this helps make things clearer.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Hanibal94 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:02 pm Yes, Leipzig's football team is supposed to play Liverpool in two weeks, as part of the Champions League round of 16.
There's always two matches, so each team can play once in their home city.
So the original plan was for Leipzig playing at home in the first game, in two weeks, and Liverpool playing at home in the second game, in March.
But Germany has currently banned people coming in from the UK, except for German citizens/residents.
So this means Liverpool can't come to Leipzig, but Leipzig could go to Liverpool (the players are all German citizens/residents, so they'd be allowed to come back), which means they might simply swap the two games. That would probably be the easiest solution, I think.
Hope this helps make things clearer.
I feel like making one of those silly comments of mine...'Only if it's a full moon and Jupiter is in the ascendant and if the March date is a Tuesday...' ;)

How did you get here Chris? You're supposed to be in IT limbo waiting for a new laptop to fly in ;) :D It's jolly nice to see you!
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

AvastMH wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:16 pm How did you get here Chris? You're supposed to be in IT limbo waiting for a new laptop to fly in ;) :D It's jolly nice to see you!
Why, thank you :)
I have a second laptop that I purchased a while back - it's just a tiny thing for checking emails and websites, without any real crunchpower.
So I used that for my last few posts.

Fortunately, the limbo is over - my new laptop arrived today, and it looks pretty good so far. Just gotta get used to the new keyboard shape, but I know from past experience that that won't take long ;)
I look forward to returning to my regular duties as transcriber, Shipopoly CFO, and Dockside Gallery master artist 8-) 8-) 8-)
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm glad you're back!!! I hope it doesn't take too long to get things set up the way you like them.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Great to hear that Chris. What did you get?
Caro

Post by Caro »

Happy birthday Matteo!

Auguri, again. :D
Michael

Post by Michael »

Buon compleanno, Matteo!

Matteo

Post by Matteo »

Thank you so much! :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
Matteo

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTEO!
:D :D :D
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Happy Birthday, Matteo!

Have lots of fun!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

To all the Whaler enthusiasts in the group, We went on one of our 4- hour vacations today. We are edging our way along the Southern California Coast. Today took us to Point Vicente. I, of course, went back to pick up my sweater just as the gray whale surfaced! Lovely day for whale watching, even without seeing one to watch!

Return to “Dockside Cafe”