Coronavirus

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
AvastMH

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AvastMH »

Randi wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 am Trimmed my hair last night. It looks pretty good from the front. I don't know about the back :roll:
Trimmed my knuckle a bit in the process, but it is fine today :roll: :roll:
Brave you!! :o Hope your knuckle scabs drop off quick :lol:

You can get tips and hints off the net:
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

:o :o :o

https://www.nytimespost.com/suez-canal- ... ake-weeks/
And it's :o for the teeny tiny digger getting the ship sorted out. What a mess. :shock: :roll: I doubt it would happen, but hopefully there's no supplies for vaccines stuck in that queue.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Vaccines probably not unless it's some of the ancillary lab equipment but I'll bet there's some PPE in there somewhere.

She makes our ships look even smaller thought, doesn't she. A few of my WW1 ships went through the Canal and it was much narrower then!
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Janeece and I get our first jabs tomorrow (Sat). It's the Oxford stuff.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

pommystuart wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:58 pm Janeece and I get our first jabs tomorrow (Sat). It's the Oxford stuff.
So glad to hear that Stuart - and may I say what a fine choice of vaccine. I am, of course, in no way partial.
AvastMH
Oxford,
UK ;) :D
Michael

Post by Michael »

I get to make my appointment tomorrow...

Got it for April 6. Mary, too. Lucky for her she picked an older man. Couples within four years of each other can be vaccinated at the same time. :lol:
leelaht

Post by leelaht »

I've been eligible for about 3 weeks, keep trying for an appointment, but all vaccines taken. Today they opened registration for a mass vaccination at the fairgrounds, don't know how many doses, but by the time I got through on the website (previous attempts timed out) I was number 7000 something in line with more than 1 hour wait. Which was about 5000 behind the last available dose. With that demand I'm confident they'll keep scheduling more events.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

In Australia they phase it in.
Important people (like the PM) essential workers and nursing home staff.
Next are the oldies (my group)
Working down to kids.

There were in the doctors rooms about (guess) 100 waiting. We were let in on a time schedule.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Michael wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:45 pm I get to make my appointment tomorrow...

Got it for April 6. Mary, too. Lucky for her she picked an older man. Couples within four years of each other can be vaccinated at the same time. :lol:
Nice timing then! Well done :D
leelaht wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:33 pm I've been eligible for about 3 weeks, keep trying for an appointment, but all vaccines taken. Today they opened registration for a mass vaccination at the fairgrounds, don't know how many doses, but by the time I got through on the website (previous attempts timed out) I was number 7000 something in line with more than 1 hour wait. Which was about 5000 behind the last available dose. With that demand I'm confident they'll keep scheduling more events.
Apparently a lot of folk are turning up towards the end of the day in case there are spares vaccination doses around. They'll jab anyone in the approved groupings in order to save wasting it. Especially Pfizer of course :)

Glad to hear that you are done too Stuart :D
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I am not sure, but I think I heard 3 continents, and at least 5 countries in the conversation above. It is amazing how things are the same all over. Through our news I hear a percentage of individuals do not want to get the vaccine, but am glad to say I am surrounded by folks anxious, interested and grateful to get it. Maybe those answering surveys saying "Not me" are not so negative when it comes right down to it.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

I hope that this is true Morgan. Although speaking negative is not helpful if they mostly get on and get vaccinated all the better - fingers crossed then. If the UK decides that you need a vaccine passport to get into a pub there will be a lot of creative passports being generated (I suspect), or a lot of younger people beating a path to the vaccine centres as soon as they are called forth. ;) :lol:
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

The vaccine cards issued here could be quite easily forged. I could do it in a matter of a few minutes with LibreOffice. :roll:

Fortunately I would have no reason to do so since I have legitimately been vaccinated, and I am not one who would do such things anyway. :D
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D

If I recall, someone came into Canada with a forged card and they were fined $8,500. Mind you, I may have confused the forged card incident with something else.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Gosh - I never thought that I could blame my bad memory on getting the - oh what was it? I can't recall....ho hum :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=18&emc=edit_hh_20210402&instance_id=28754&nl=well&productCode=HH&regi_id=79267039&segment_id=54721&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2Fb3fe8eaf-76f1-5990-ba35-3dae3eb5e2e6 wrote: Q: I took Tylenol before I had my Covid vaccine shots and had very little reaction to the shots. Did I make a big mistake?

You shouldn’t try to stave off discomfort by taking a pain reliever before getting the shot. The concern is that premedicating with a pain reliever like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), which can prevent side effects like arm soreness as well as fever or headache, might also blunt your body’s immune response.

While it’s possible that taking a pain reliever before your shots might have dampened your body’s immune response, vaccine experts say you shouldn’t worry, and you shouldn’t try to get another shot. Studies of other vaccines suggest that while premedicating can dull the body’s immune response to a vaccine, your immune system can still mount a strong enough defense to fight infection. A review of studies of more than 5,000 children compared antibody levels in children who took pain relievers before and after vaccinations and those who did not. They found that pain relievers did not have a meaningful impact on immune response, and that children in both groups generated adequate levels of antibodies after their shots.

The high efficacy of all the Covid vaccines suggests that even if taking Tylenol before the shot did blunt your body’s immune response, there’s some wiggle room, and you are likely still well protected against Covid-19. “You should feel reassured that you’ll have enough of an immune response that you’ll will be protected, especially for vaccines that are this good,” said Dr. Offit.

Q: What about taking a pain reliever after the shot?

“It’s OK to treat” side effects with a pain reliever, said Dr. Offit, but if you don’t really need one, “don’t take it.”

While most experts agree it’s safe to take a pain reliever to relieve discomfort after you get vaccinated, they warn against taking it if you don’t need it, because it could potentially blunt your immune response. (In terms of the vaccine, there’s no meaningful difference if you choose acetaminophen or ibuprofen.)

During the Moderna trial, about 26 percent of people took acetaminophen to relieve side effects, and the overall efficacy of the vaccine still was 94 percent.
Randi

Post by Randi »

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

That's terrible :cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “Dockside Cafe”